A few months ago I “baked” a Coffee Cake in a Mug. It’s a very practical recipe to have on hand. It’s easy, whips up in minutes, and really hits the spot when you need something sweet.
I wanted to make something else in the same vein. It’s snowed three times this past week in the New York area. It’s gonna be a loooong winter. And a quick, easy cake recipe can come in handy when you’re stuck indoors due to bad weather. This bowl cake serves 1 generously or 2 with a more modest appetite. And you likely have the ingredients in the cupboard.
I spooned 4 tablespoons of cake flour into a bowl. You can use all purpose, I just happened to use cake flour.
And the last dry ingredient was 2 tablespoons cocoa.
Next came the wet ingredients – 3 tablespoons milk, 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, and a couple drops of vanilla extract.
Once the chips were incorporated, it was ready for the microwave.
- 4 tablespoons flour - all purpose or cake flour
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1-2 drops vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, nuts, etc. - optional
- Place flour, sugar, and cocoa powder in a small microwave-safe bowl. Mix the dry ingredients together well with a fork.
- Add milk, oil, and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
- Add chips, nuts, or other desired mix-ins. Mix well. Microwave uncovered for 3 minutes.
- Garnish as desired. Enjoy!