Hi! I’m Nina. Join me, an amateur baker, as I work on my baking and cake decorating skills by baking 52 cakes in 2012 – a cake a week.
I’ve always had a passion for cooking and baking, which really took hold during my time working for Celebrations.com, which coincided with my moving into an apartment with a proper, grown-up kitchen. I now cohabitate with my dear boyfriend, Chris, in Manhattan. By day I work on the digital team at a public relations firm.
Check out my personal blog at www.NinaSpezz.com.
About the Project
Here are some ground rules I’ve laid out for myself.
The Ground Rules
- Cakes must be cakes, not cupcakes, cake pops, bars, cookies, pies, or any other variation on cake.
- Recipes must be new (to me). Each week I’ll be trying a recipe I’ve never tried before.
- Recipes should be mostly original. I’d like to learn more about the science of baking and develop my own recipes in the process. But I will leave some breathing room for some classic recipes I’ve never tried before.
- Recipes should be bold. Classic ingredients are great – chocolate, vanilla, caramel, peanut butter. But I’d like to experiment with unique cake ingredients such as chili powder, zucchini, or black beans.
- Recipes should be inspired. I’ll do my best to draw inspiration from unlikely sources for cake decorating, techniques, and who knows what else?
Have a recipe you’d like to submit for me to try? Email me at tips [at] weeklycake.com.